RESOURCE: 5 Ways to Turn Panels from Boring To Brilliant
What Are the Worst Things About Panels?
So how do we loathe panels? It turns out there are 10 main ways, according to a recent survey.
10. Too many panelists. The optimal number, Arnold said, is three or four–four is best if you are concerned that one may drop out.
9. Poor time management
8. A panel discussion that isn’t actually a conversation. Especially painful is the hot-potato moderator who asks each panelist the same question, so by the time you get to the third or fourth, they’re straining to come up with anything remotely interesting to say that hasn’t already been said.
7. A panel that goes off-topic or has no real point
6. No audience engagement
5. Ego and self-promotion (one of my personal pet peeves)
4. Out-of-control panelists
3. Unprepared moderator and panelists
2. Dominating panelists
1. An ineffective moderator.