Resource Center

ABSTRACT: Lifelong Learning and Self-assessment Is Relevant to Emergency Physician

BACKGROUND:
The Lifelong Learning and Self-assessment (LLSA) component of the American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program is a self-assessment exercise for physicians. Beginning in 2011, an optional continuing medical education (CME) activity was added.
OBJECTIVES:
As a part of a CME activity option for the LLSA, a survey was used to determine the relevancy of the LLSA readings and the degree to which medical knowledge garnered by the LLSA activity would modify clinical care.
METHODS:
Survey results from the 2011 LLSA CME activity were reviewed. This survey was composed of seven items, including questions about the relevancy of the readings and the impact on the physician’s clinical practice. The questions used a 5-point Likert scale and data underwent descriptive analyses.
RESULTS:
There were 2841 physicians who took the LLSA test during the study period, of whom 1354 (47.7%) opted to participate in the 2011 LLSA CME activity. All participants completed surveys. The LLSA readings were reported to be relevant to the overall clinical practice of Emergency Medicine (69.6% strongly relevant, 28.1% some relevance, and 2.3% little or no relevance), and provided information that would likely help them change their clinical practices (high likelihood 38.8%, some likelihood 53.0%, little or no change 8.2%).
CONCLUSIONS:
The LLSA component of the ABEM MOC program is relevant to the clinical practice of Emergency Medicine. Through this program, physicians gain new knowledge about the practice of Emergency Medicine, some of which is reported to change physicians’ clinical practices.

via Lifelong Learning and Self-assessment Is Relevan… [J Emerg Med. 2013] – PubMed – NCBI.

Brian S McGowan, PhD

Written by

Brian is a research scientist and educational technologist. He helped transform Pfizer’s Medical Education Group and previously served in educational leadership roles at HealthAnswers, Inc.; Acumentis, LLC.; Cephalon; and Wyeth. He taught graduate medical education programs at Arcadia University for 10 years. Dr. McGowan recently authored the book "#socialQI: Simple Solutions for Improving Your Healthcare" and has been invited to speak internationally on the subject of information flow, technology, and learning in healthcare.

Leave a Comment