RESOURCE: How to Better Retain Information from Books, Articles, and More
A Sample System
Here’s what a system for a book could look like:
- Read book. Make notes in margins and highlight or mark segments. Wait a week.
- Re-open book, type up notes and related quotes in Evernote and tag with an occasion I might need the information for e.g., negotiating or its relevant field of expertise e.g., marketing, business.
- If the book is related to an article idea or theme that you’re exploring, write out related quotes or print them on index cards and tag them appropriately in software or add them to your commonplace book.
- Add calendar entry for four months from now to review book or related information e.g., negotiating.
- If a point resonates with you, print it out and tape it onto your wall. In order to keep these quotes free of noise, try to have no more than two or three quotes up there at any time.