Flipped Classrooms in Medical Education: A Resource Kit for Starters
Over the past 18 months our team has been exploring innovations in medical education with a keen eye directed to the emergence of flipped classrooms. This has allowed me to collate, filter, and identify what I think might be the top 12 resources one might need to begin to grasp the flipped experience both as it relates to students and faculty.
- San Jose State U. Says Replacing Live Lectures With Videos Increased Test Scores – Wired Campus – The Chronicle of Higher Education
- RESOURCE: The Flipped Classroom Guide for Teachers
- RESOURCE: Five Best Practices for the Flipped Classroom
- RESOURCE: 6 Expert Tips for Flipping the Classroom — Campus Technology
- MANUSCRIPT: Vodcasts and Active-Learning Exercises in a “Flipped Classroom” Model of a Renal Pharmacotherapy Module
- MANUSCRIPT: The Effect of the Flipped Classroom on Student Achievement and Stress
- RESOURCE: Using the “flipped classroom” model to re-imagine medical education | Scope Blog (great video included and re-purposed below)
- RESOURCE: ‘Flipping’ Classrooms May Not Make Much Difference PLUS RESOURCE: Comment from member of research team on USA Today flipped classroom article
- RESOURCE: Gathering Evidence that Flipping the Classroom can Enhance Learning Outcomes | Emerging Education Technology
- RESOURCE: The MOOC School of Medicine
- Education and Healthcare Embrace a Digital and Interconnected World
- ABSTRACT: PBL and Beyond: Trends in Collaborative Learning
Beyond what I have shared above, there are 100’s of great resources available to you and your teams if you have the time to search them out, but beginning here should help you set a course, conceive a pilot, or understand the barriers to success.
In a separate post, I will be describing my recent experience Chairing a flipped workshop in conjunction with the Alliance for Continuing Education in the Health Professions entitled, “Journey to the Center of CE” – this was a tremendously successful and profitable endeavor for the Alliance, and the lessons learned should go a long way to giving you even more motivation to begin to leverage these types of innovations within your own programs.